Before we kick into the meat of this post, I’d like to take a moment to recognise the IWV community and give some quick updates. We are now 2,200+ people on the facebook group and 986 followers on Instagram with many regular contributors to the Survey which now tracks over 250 bottles from some of the top distillers in the country. Thank-you for your support, and I look forward to bringing you more blogs, updates and commentary on auctions. If you haven’t joined already – get involved!
We have also begun collaborating with The Whiskey Companion. Carl has built a great tool for keeping track of auction prices, and going forward this tool will be used in conjunction with The Survey to keep track of our favourite collections. He’s actually tracking all whiskey in a few different auctions, so if there are specific collections you’re looking for details on, let us know and we can make it happen.
Irish Whiskey Valuations will be used for blogging about whiskey collection additions(new releases), prices and general collector hobby topics. The Whiskey Companion will follow the more top level releases in Irish whiskey, reviews and various other tools for users.
Now onto the subject at hand, since the last post about the RedBreast Single Cask series, there have been a couple of additions.
This is the full list of 16 releases that are apart of the collection:
- RedBreast Single Cask Celtic Whiskey Shop – Cask #17126 (2001)
- RedBreast Single Cask Celtic Whiskey Shop – Cask #30088 (1999)
- RedBreast Single Cask Celtic Whiskey Shop – Cask #42884 (1997)
- RedBreast Single Cask Irish Whiskey Collection – Cask #42966 (1991)
- RedBreast Single Cask Irish Whiskey Collection – Cask #43231 (1999)
- RedBreast Single Cask La Maison Du Whisky 60th Anniversary – Cask #42972 (1991)
- RedBreast Single Cask La Maison Du Whisky – Cask #70946 (1998)
- RedBreast Single Cask La Maison Du Whisky – Cask #26494 (2001)
- RedBreast Single Cask Master of Malt – Cask #18829 (2001)
- RedBreast Single Cask The Friend At Hand – Cask #82858 (1991)
- RedBreast Single Cask The Whiskey Exchange – Cask #30087 (1999)
- RedBreast Single Cask The Whiskey Exchange – Cask #38635 (1989)
- RedBreast Single Cask Sonny Molloy’s – Cask #10351 (2002)
- RedBreast Single Cask The Palace Bar – Cask #18831 (2001)
- RedBreast Single Cask Midleton and Bow Street – Cask #21316 (2000)
- RedBreast Single Cask The Temple Bar – Cask #82861 (1991)
The 4 new ones are new expressions from LMDW, TWE, Midleton and Bow Street and The Temple Bar. All of these are readily available on their websites.
So let’s get to the nitty gritty. To refresh your memories, this is the last overview of the RedBreast Single Cask, as of Jan 2019 over 12 months.
Now, using the new tool from The Whiskey Companion we can see in real time what the prices are for the past 12 months
Overall, there have been both increases and decreases in avg prices, which given the current climate for peoples finances, is understandable.
CWS #30088 +€52
Sonny Molloy’s +€39
LMDW #70946 +€32
FAH #82858 +€49
IWC #42966 -€106
CWS #42884 -€90 (Reserve not met, this is still available on CWS at RRP)
LMDW #42972 -€39
MoM #18829 -€20
Palace Bar #18831 -€5
TWE #30087 -€53
So, as of today, if you got all single casks (16) at the average value today, you’re talking about €6,840 vs €6,425 if you bought at RRP. That’s a cool 7% increase on investment.
Although we’re getting close to the RBSC series becoming a bit unmanageable, or daunting to new collectors, a lot of these whiskies are still common in auctions and there are at least 5 still available at retail. It’s definitely a unique collection to have, and with IDL spending a ton on RB in the coming years I feel the only way is up.
Have you got a full collection? Starting a collection or just drinking the lovely liquid inside? Let me know below.
Until next time